JFAMILY

Friday, October 17, 2008

ENSURING THE HEALTH OF THE J KITTIES

I wonder if my absence had been felt in the cat blogosphere as I have been MIA for days. One thing I have to say, I have been extremely busy ensuring the health of every kitties in the J Family are well looked into as well as mine. The whole week has been a hectic week with Justin, Joey, Jimmy and Jeremy getting themselves in and out of sicknesses. I won’t have to mention but I guessed you all would have known how tough it was to have a few purging kitties at home at the same time. By now with all the medications I had purchased from the vet, everyone except Jimmy and Jeremy had recovered.

Although Jimmy is still having some soft stools, at least those were not as watery and mucus filled as before. He should be cleared within the next few days. Jeremy was the one that made me concern the most. Constipation! That was something new to me in cats. He was down with fever ever since Sunday and I was praying hard that he would pull through. Not only fear was in his eyes. Mine too as I was in real panicky situation for the worst scenario.

SICKJEREMY02

I had to manually feed him with some wet food and water every few hours before giving him his medications. On top of that, I had to wipe him clean with a damp towel occasionally to try to keep his temperature down. You should just look at his eyes in tears. I could even feel his pain in trying to recover from his sickness. Even Mama Jessica was trying hard to comfort him at all times. I got even more heartache when I found out that he had lost some much weight considering that I always like to call him a fatty. He’s so skinny now!

SICKJEREMY01

I was relieved barely an hour ago when he gave out his first “mess”. Although it was in my living room, it was a sign that got me in tears. He was fighting to recover and he was up moving about purring and rubbing against my legs for more food! I hope his worst would be over soon.

Janice on the other hand is still at the vet, doing quite well after a minor surgery to remove that “horn” of hers. Although she was still crying for my presence, I have no other choice but to keep her there to ensure that her wound would heal properly without getting infected by the remaining sick kitties in the house. Whicky Wuudler, Oliver, Angel O'Cakes and Gerry’s Mum, Jane, was right about the Calici Virus that has been affecting Janice. I just got this information from her last night although I would love to have known it earlier without proceeding to surgery which had just cost me a bomb. From the symptoms that were described in her email, it was exactly what happened to Janice (and maybe the rest). Luckily, I forced myself to push Janice to the vet at the right time, although reluctantly due to some circumstances.

With this useful information given, it did help the vets to narrow down the assumption on what was happening to Janice. Out of curiosity, I did ask them on why they have no knowledge on such an existence of the virus. I know I was not in a position to question their expertise in treating Janice but I had to know. To my surprise, they answered me very well with a sense of humor as well. “Not all doctors would know everything unless they were specialized in a specific sickness. What Janice was experiencing was never seen before in our entire 30 years plus of involvement in the veterinary services throughout the world.” I was dumbfounded with the last statement and did not wish to ask any further.

I would like to quote what Jane had emailed me, just in case any of the kitties out there is experiencing the same symptom as Janice.

The Merck Veterinary Manual: According to this book (reference textbook as used by veterinary surgeons) Nasopharyngeal Polyps can often be caused by Calici Virus. This is an upper respiratory virus that is common in cat colonies and is easily spread. The symptoms for Calici Virus fit perfectly (I'd bet exactly) with the symptoms you described that Janice had as an adjunct to the polyps and also your other cats. The rate of spread within your cat family fits too.

A viral swab is easily done by your vet to establish if it is Calici virus causing the polyps and other symptoms. Not every cat will get the polyps but Calici virus, whilst as a virus is not directly treatable, the symptoms CAN be treated successfully with a range of antibiotics. Once a cat has Calici Virus, it will always have it (and shed it too) and acute episodes (which can last from 7 to 10 days) can be caused by stress, which is common in multi cats household. Vaccines are available for it, but obviously this is of no use to an already infected feline.

I have a cat with Calici, Gerry - he has had one of the worst cases of Calici my vet had ever seen. 100% ulcerated mouth, oral abscesses, vomiting, extreme diarrhea, dehydration, inappetance, sneezes, coughing, depression and generalized pain. There's also a form of Calici called Limping Calici Virus (but he did not have this) and it took 9 months to stabilize him and control the episodes. Initially we tried 6 weekly injections of Depomedron (a steroid) to control it, but the effect just did not last for the interval between doses. What has worked (in the last year he's had only one episode of Calici - due to a fight with the neighbor’s cat) is Interferon. This is available from the vet in solution form - the approved brand is Virbagen Omega and it's administered once a day orally, not with food but by syringe. Interferon in contact with the cat's throat causes the immune system to work harder in that area and keep the virus at bay. For Gerry this has been a life saver and once Janice and the others have recovered (if of course it is Calici causing their illness) it may work for them too.”

Anyway, I should be real thankful to Jane for endlessly trying to help in getting Janice out from her misery. THANK YOU JANE!


22 comments:

Asta said...

Cwiz
I am pwaying that all the Cwiz cats get well completely and soon!!!!
I cwy when I wead about theiw suffewing
smoochie healing kisses
ASTA

Jans Funny Farm said...

We have been coming by several times a day to check for updates, hoping to find good news. While not the best, this is certainly an improvement.

We are glad someone was able to recognize the symptoms and help you get a diagnosis. This has been another terrible time for you with you sick and your cats too. We hope you have all turned the corner and there is sunshine ahead.

Daisy said...

Oh gosh, you have all had such a tough time. Calici virus is fairly common in the cats at the shelter, but I have never seen it causing those polyps before. It must be a relief to finally have a diagnosis!

I hope Jeremy's constipation clears up soon! Has your vet recommended that you try canned pumpkin? (just plain pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling). Some cats will eat it plain, or you can mix it in with some canned cat food. The fiber can often help a constipated kitty.

Angel MoMo and Charlotte said...

It's a wonder that you have time to post at all with all the going-ons at your place. I hope everything is going to improve now that everyone seems to be doing better. Having you all in my thoughts.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

WE are purring for all of you. It sounds as if at least now you know what the problem is, hopefully now that you know what is causing the problem you can get it under control. ~S,S & C

Chesney Cats said...

Criz, you have definitely been missed! We have been so worried about you & the kitties.
Hopefully things will start getting better since the vets know what they're dealing with now.
We are praying for wellness all the way around.

Hugs & Purrs,
Sammy, Festus, Emma & Mama Rhonda

KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

Criz, we have missed you and have been very concerned about the situation with the J-Family.
I am so thankful for the help in figuring out what was wrong.
I don't imagine between cleaning up after all those cats, plus the stress and worry, you have much energy left for anything else.
Thank you so much for updating us, KC is going to put a post up on the CB.
Try to get some rest and relax a bit now.
ML

Gemini and Ichiro said...

I am glad to hear from you. I am glad that you finally got a diagnosis for this too.

Sweet Purrfections said...

Wow! It has really been tough around your household. I am sending special purrs that everything is on the mend now.

The Cat Realm said...

Oh my gosh! What an ordeal - we are glad that you finally had a diagnoses so you can get all your cats back to health! At least now you know what to deal with and hopefully can keep future episodes from happening - we are still purring very hard for you all!
Karl

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

We did indeed miss yoo but thawt yoo were bizzy wif all dem sick kitties and we'd hear from yoo sooner or later and just kept up da purrs and purrayers. We'z glad at least yoo know what it is now. We hope da vet can fix them all up.

The Misadventures Of Me said...

I have noticed you had been gone as well. You have a big heart for your furry kids! Thank goodness everyone is well on being mended.

How are you doing though? You never said.

Mommy Bean Laure

Poppy Q said...

I am glad to hear that some of the team are mending and I hope everyone feels better.

I think that doctors(and vets) are a bit like the antiques roadshow. The man who specializes in 13th centuary Samuri swords, may not know much about 20th centuary ceramics.


We were glad to hear someone smart on the blogoshpere was able to help sweet Janice.

Hugs to you all.

Mo and The Purries said...

Criz,
I will keep praying for Janice to have a full recovery and for you and the other J-kitties to all feel better SOON!!!
Hugs,
Not The Mama

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Criz
We have checked for updates and assumed that you had your hands full...(YOU most certainly did)...we are glad to know that things are moving in the right direction with everyone getting better and finally an answer for sweet J....oh my what a time you all have had...

purrs,Abby

Us4 Cats said...

It sounds like you are doing a wondeful job caring for your babies.
Those photos look all too familiar; not long ago we had four sick adult cats and 6 sick newborns. they had to be watched closely and administered with amox. daily. everyone was diagnosed with colds.
it was definately worth the time and attention when i started to see their recovery. worth every second to see your cats healthy again. cats look so ill when they are sick, it is heartbreaking.
your kitties are lucky to have you there to care for them and bring them back into health.

-wlk

Charlemagne and Tamar said...

Criz,

We're glad to hear that everyone seems to be on the mend. Sending purrs and prayers that everyone recovers soon and that you all can get some rest.

Charlemagne and Tamar

The Island Cats said...

Wow! We're glad to hear that everyone seems to be getting better...we've heard about the calici virus affecting shelters.

We hope everyone continues to improve and that Janice is home from the hospital real soon.

Mickey's Musings said...

Criz,I am happy that there is a diagnosis and maybe Janice will get better soon :) I am also happy the other kitties are feeling better!!
Purrs Mickey

PB 'n J said...

We're so glad for the update - we'll keep purring for everykitty to return to health.

Team Tabby said...

Hugs and purrs to all the J kitties. You have all had such a rough go of things lately!! Criz you take such good care of your lovely family, we knew you were very, very busy looking after them.

Mindy, Moe, Bono

Sabrina, Sam and Simon said...

Mr. Criz, we have been purring and purraying for you and your J Kitties, and are sending extra ones even more, especially for you because you are such a wonderful Daddy to all of your babies, and you need some comfort. Many (((((((HUGS))))))) to you and all of your sweet babies.
Purrs and headbutts,
Sabrina, Sam, Simon and Momma Jan too

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin